What tyres are we using this winter?

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
So here we go. What is everyone's preferred choice of tyre for this coming winter and why? Is it modern or is it retro?
:D

I bought some studded winter tyres around this time last year, which I'm pretty certain ensures we won't have any truly wintery weather until I misplace or sell them.

Re:

Splashbacks, since the mud/clay/gloop/thorns just stick to the tyres this side of the Humber. A small amount of skill and you can ride anything with them.

On the rare event we go to the wrong side of the Humber, then nobby nics will be fine, which have been fine for pretty much everywhere, peaks, moors, lakes, bits inbetween and still rolling fine after many years. No idea what this newer style Nobby nics are like, but shouldn't be too much different.

The only other tyre is a smoke lite as it cuts trough the gloop an is narrow enough to get to the harder gloop under it and then grip.

Nothing stops the buildup of twigs, leaves, shrubbery or stops the hawthorn.

Im a convert of ice tyres with the spikes :cool: Ran them and then forgot it was winter so went whizzing down an icy hill and cornered :shock:
Then i realized it was the tyres and not just luck. The feelings a bit like carbon forks. You view them with a dubious eye about bouncing down a hill on them with visions of snapping and hospital porters then 1/2 way down you forget that theyre there.

Bit late in the year now for getting a bargain pair but you never know.
Blooming sold mine :facepalm: the best ones too.

i have some old nevegals with 1/4" wood screws through the blocks. sticks like shit to a blanket.

Back