Hi all, another Kona saved from the scrap!

I also have v brake levers... So I'd need new levers as well and may also explain why the rear brake is so bad (although not properly set up yet..)

V brakes are better due to the mechanical advantage however as long as you use decent pads and setup the brakes right cantis should be more than enough.
4 of my 6 retro bikes run canti's, one has V's the other Magura.

I think I will stick some v's on for now, to get me going. Then source a front disc comp and levers.

Long term I need to try and find some period wheels (kona 399 originally) an xt or LX rear mech , canti's for front and levers and then forks, bars and stem. I wont do that till I am out if the city though, pick up bits as I go/find cheap.

Quick one...

I notice some v brake callipers have a kind of linkage in them, looks like it maybe stops the pad following the arc of the arm as it's applied?

Does this linkage make much difference in performance?

Karlos28":2uuqu3qd said:
Quick one...

I notice some v brake callipers have a kind of linkage in them, looks like it maybe stops the pad following the arc of the arm as it's applied?

Does this linkage make much difference in performance?

The parallelogram causes the pad to hit the rim square on so the pad wears evenly. This should in theory make the brake more powerful as you get more pad to the rim. Not much in it I doubt.

Still got those two pairs of both types if you want them ;)

Ahh yeh sorry mate iv been meaning to reply, now iv got into it a bit more I'd like a matching pair. I really want you LX but can't find one other!

Karlos28":2uceq8hc said:
Ahh yeh sorry mate iv been meaning to reply, now iv got into it a bit more I'd like a matching pair. I really want you LX but can't find one other!

There's a few full sets on eBay ranging from £30-£37 including postage. Bit pricy I reckon! If you do decide you want them I have reduced the job lot of parts including the V's to £25 posted

Karlos28":q6o4irwa said:
Hmm, let me check out what you have, I Ned some other bits and bobs too.

PM me if there is more your after, going to have a rummage in my boxes this weekend and get some more stuff up on my main sale thread.

Back