GT RTS HELP

GT4130

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I've bought a GT RTS frame with steel back end, the cast drop out version. It's been bodged with rattle cans in the past so I'm stripping it back to restore it hopefully polished front end black rear. My query is that the alloy frame is anodised gold and can't see any pictures of gold versions. The frame number doesn't give anything away either it's: H5G023323. Any help would be great, I'm going to build it up with RST Mozo pro forks and shimano SLX SE parts, all early to mid 90s kit.

I've posted in the other thread. Does the top tube have a flat or curved end at the seat post join? If you have what I think you have it started life as an rts 2 and would have been kitted out with 7 speed lx gearing with cantis as stoppers.

The serial number suggests it's not a team, rts or rts-1, at least I think so.

The steel rear on my old rts-2 had a roller rather than a rocker for rear canti cable routing but I've seen others with a rocker. If memory serves I bought mine in 92.

It's a Taiwanese made frame from the serial number.

The first year design (rts-1,USA made,and 2 made in Taiwan)both used a steel rear end and had a brake roller.

This design changed the following year to the rear brake rocker, they also added the rts team the team and the rts-1 frames were made in the USA the rest were not (rts-2 and rts-3)

As for it being adonized yellow/gold then unless a previous owner did it then I have not seen one that colour, the rts-3 was purple but painted I think.

Re:

Thanks for the help, the frames got the rocker style brake adaptor and noodles near the shock to guide cables.

Re:

ishaw":3hc0dma6 said:
That's interesting. I know of two people who bought rts 2s from a bike shop in Peterborough. They were rich kids who had a millionaire dad. I worked at the company their dad owned and they were proud as anything with their new bikes and posed around the car park on them. A few weeks later, a poor kid (me) rocks up to work with the same bike as them (long story but in short, I had 2 bikes stolen and the new for old left me with a lot of £ to spend on a bike. The shop they bought their's from had been sent an extra one by accident and they were going to send it back but let me have it for the £ my insurance would pay, a few hundred less than the £1,399 asking price).

As you might expect, the rich boys with their toys were none too impressed that a pleb like me had the same bike they did, so they both set about upgrading and such. Both had their frames anodised gold, with custom rts-? decals made to hide the origins they were rts 2 frames, they also threw lots of cash at components too, judy fork upgrades etc.

I know that one of these bikes suffered a damaged frame and was sold, last I heard (about 4 years ago) the other was still owned by one of them but hanging in the garage.

I wonder if you have one of these frames? Any repair work noticeable on it at all?

At work we used to joke that after they had finished their customising, it looked like a bike you could buy from ratners the jewellers. GT Ratner Tuned Suspension. They didn't like that too much.

Re:

That's an amazing story, I'm mid way through getting the horrible black paint off but the frame was definately gold anodised , it's been flatted back unfortunately but it's every were that's difficult to flat. I can't see any rewelds or repair work. The rear swing arm appears to have been black. It is a frame only so no components .thanks again for the reply.

I think I got mine in 92, not long after they got their's.

Is it definitely anodised? Just asking as the rts-2 was painted a bronze/gold colour with a black steel rear end.

Re:

Yes it's a lite gold colour a bit like the foil top on a margarine tub. Sadly somebody went to great lengths to wet n dry the colour off. I wanted to polish the front but the gold is everywhere in all the welds and nooks and crannies so would've bugger to remove.

Sounds much like how I remember the two bikes I know of. They look great polished (my team does anyway). You can use agressive stuff to get rid of anodising, gave seen threads on here about it but never tried myself.

I'm sure you know that these frames have weak points so I'd be loathed to go down this route myself and potentially weakening any areas, especially around welds.

There's a sale of some damaged frames on ebay. Might be a way to get a rear shock if you need one?

Back