Converting 97 Rockhopper FS to a commuter

planzeres

Retro Newbie
Really need some advice on how to make my rockhopper a little more nimble around town.

My current setup:
97 Rockhopper FS mostly original, except newer tora 289 fork, three piece shimano crankset, FSA headset and kona stem and handlebars.

First thing specifically I'd like to do is replace the fork with a rigid fork and what good steelies are out there?

I'm also concerned about the geometry, I feel like im riding too far away from the handle bars. I probably just need to move the saddle up, but is there anything telltale anyone can see from the pictures that i might be doing wrong with the configuration?

The original saddle isnt much for going but a few miles with and would like to replace it with something more comfortable any suggestions from commuting sages out there?

Also any advice in general would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Re:

I don't see any pictures???

Loads of rigid forks out there You might want some with mudguard eyes etc, and you might want to look up the correct axle to crown measurement for your model and year of bike, you're probably looking at getting some suspension corrected rigid forks.
Try adjusting things, one at a time .Like raising the saddle, moving it forwards on its rails, maybe try a shorter stem, or riser handlebars?
Saddles are a personal preference imo, I'd quite happily commute on a skinny Flute saddle, others prefer more cushioning for longer distance. If you're not fussed about it being retro then the specialized BG saddles seem alright.
Stick some slick tyres on (there's loads of threads with photos on the subject on here). I'm currently using some Michelin wild run'R 26x1.1 slicks which are pretty fast, but also have a set of schwalbe marathon plus tyres which are slower (but still quicker than knobblies) and also weigh a ton, but they're comfy, last ages, and are virtually puncture proof (could be handy on a commute). Schwalbe City jets seem popular on here, continental gatorskins too, down to your preference really.

Re:

Picture attached! Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into some slicks and a new fork (eyeing some ebay)
I really need to toy with the adjustments as you said and i think getting a new saddle and moving it forward on the rails will help.

I'll do some tuning and post my results. cheers!

Attachments

• 20160828_204229_resized.jpg
    20160828_204229_resized.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 622
Your current saddle does look as though it's set at least 3/4" to far back and the handlebar stem does look as though it's quite long tbh so at least putting a 1/2" shorter stem on will make a world of difference and those front forks look to tall to me but i'm no expert regards front suspension so i could quite easily be wrong as for slick tyres jimo has already made some cracking suggestions so i can't already improve on that and besides i generally go with what i can afford which isn't always a good thing unless you can find yourself a cracking offer online ..

I'd just noticed you've nothing to keep those feet on the pedals unless your using footware with really deep grip on the soles as i tend to use strapless toe clips although their are quite a few cyclists that sware by SPD's but it's all down to preference ..

Re:

Yes I believe your right about the forks being too tall, I've measured them at about 495mm! Thinking factory axle to crown was closer to 450mm so go to know...learn something new everyday.

Well tbh we only learn most things through experience but sometimes we need some one to point out what looks wrong or you'd never know but as it so happens you've now done your home work and fully realise the mistake so the question is , do you still replace the forks with a pair of rigids or choose a correct length pair of suspension although rigids would be cheaper unless your looking at carbon or Ti and the best advice i can give you regards rigid forks unless you already know is steer clear of aluminium forks as they allow alot of shock through the steering setup affecting the wrists over a distance .

Another option is to replace the forks with something lighter but still bouncy. Tora's are reasonable for a budget fork but they weigh a metric f*ckton. Virtually any other fork will be lighter making the bike feel more nimble.

Re:

I also have a 97 rockhopper.... got it for free and ended up building it as a SS commuter

Attachments

• 1238988_10152297757095303_1311162165463195714_n.jpg
    1238988_10152297757095303_1311162165463195714_n.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 524
  • bike 360.jpg
    bike 360.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 524
Back