ICONOCLASSIC : 2016 / aftermath!

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Fantastic day this year - what a turnout!

Thanks to everyone who made the trip, from all corners of the UK, to bring and show an amazing collection of bikes.

Thanks to those who helped set-up the show, and thanks too to those who didn't - at least the thought was there wasn't it Lee, Chris, Regan... Bloody slackers.

The weather held up, and the couple of minor showers we did have didn't upset anyone or the bikes in the slightest.

I didn't manage to get many pics as I was too busy gassing with everyone - in fact, it took me until 15.30 to get down to the bottom bay and check out the last of James's Kleins and his Funk - so please post yours up here!

The brewery we had in for the day reported great sales, so everyone was presumably pretty happy with their brews which is good as they're very new and this was their first show.

Great to see a good mix of returning and new faces, and everyone promised to be back next year for a bigger and better show.

Things have definitely gathered momentum, and ICONOCLASSIC seems cemented in the retro social calendar now which is great, and John Atkins Cycles were willing to stump up quite a bit of cash which allowed me to get the big flag for the show. Putting the kind of money in that they did, in return for a pitch for their ez-up, confirms to me that the show has legs and is on course to grow nicely. Bike shops don't tend to stump up money for things unless they're pretty sure they're getting something out of it. That being said, Atkins have always been good supporters of events and cyclists, and they're a top LBS who deserve a big shout out.

Plans are already afoot for next year's show to become even bigger and better, and yes I hear you with the shouts for an ice cream van... ;)

The standard of bikes was very high this year, and shows a trend of people getting more serious in their collecting and in our little hobby - expect sales of 200GS to plummet as a result I'm afraid.

As well as the standard of build, the variety of builds was also very high, with some great rareities making their way out of the woodwork having been lovingly restored in many cases. Or simply quickly dusted off in others...

Paul Smith of MBUK fame had promised to make an appearance with his 1991 San Andreas. He didn't disappoint and was a fantastic chap to chat to about anything and everything - if only everyone with stories was so accessible and willing to share knowledge and experiences. That I got to ride the bike around was another bonus of course...

As well as his San An, Paul brought along his old Reflex which had some prototype Rock Shox Mags which he'd been developing with RS and HBall. Recognisable Mag30 legs, but with two different versions in each leg of the valves which would later become the SL and SLti forks.

I'll add some of the few photos I took on the day in the following posts, and please guys add yours and your stories here too - think it's best to start one solid thread which can then be moved over to the ICONOCLASSIC section of the forum once it's gathered momentum.

Cheers again to everyone who came along, and who contributed to an amazing day - the first time in the 3 shows I've not been stressed out of my mind and have managed to chat with you all and actually enjoy what is after all meant to be a fun time activity! :LOL: :LOL:

:cool:

Re:

Had such a great time Tom and built another few bikes in my head for next years show on the drive home to Kernow.

Here's to the next one.

al.

BoyBurning":7l588egh said:
Thanks to those who helped set-up the show, and thanks too to those who didn't - at least the thought was there wasn't it Lee, Chris, Regan... Bloody slackers.

Sorry Tom,

In our defense we were the only people who turned up for a 'few' previous nights drinkies.... aside from yourself and the good lady that is, so we had to drink all the free beer on offer, such a shame to those that missed it, and all the hot chicks playing pool.... right Chris, ...Regan.... back me up here...

Honestly though, really good night and a fantastic day such a good range of excellent bikes, the Kirk barn find was definately a show winner ;) and the alpinestars with the spring loaded back rack was a suprise show, put the others to shame if you ask me.

Will maybe plan ahead next year and get a little more central so we can help out in the morning too.

Working on getting myself a Bonty drug runner special for next year If I can just catch the scrote riding it tomorrow morning :LOL:

Enjoy
RBG

great day, great people. great place and great bikes. Awsomely well organised and although i missed setting up, helped tidying up after, which meant i could talk to more folk :)

heres my pics, wanted to take more but the crowds were unreal and I spent more time gassing

loved it

chris

Re:

Great pics, I'll take the 914/4 please?

al.

Re:

:)

Good collection of pics Chris - gives a good feel for the day!

And good to meet you chap - forgot to ask if Lee got the number for the 'rooms'...?

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":2txzyngs said:

And good to meet you chap - forgot to ask if Lee got the number for the 'rooms'...?

nope.............but i did ;)

Re:

Loved every second of it :)

Some truely stunning bikes - some that i'd really love to own, but as a few of us said, although the bikes were all awesome, there's not one that were set up *exactly* how I'd have it set up - All part of the charm of old bikes :)

Dansons RS1, Spuds Ozone, The Muddy fox Intereactive, Raidans Romax.

And Paul Smith with his collection - nice guy.

Thanks to Tom for arranging this again. Although if i'm being honest, Bruce stole the show for me :LOL:

Re: Re:

longun":3pi79hkj said:
BoyBurning":3pi79hkj said:

nope.............but i did ;)

she was keen ..... Got her mobile too Chris :LOL:

RBG

Back