What is a Mountain Bike?

I think he needs to reassess. And maybe pop his head out of his arse.

Long time since i've read so much shit in one small quote.

(Excluding Brexit)

They were 'all terrain bikes ' in the 1980's

$_86.JPG

Re:

Frank Berto wasn't much of an advocate of MTB's in the early days, and didn't see their potential even when it was obvious.
Although he's one of the worlds experts on derailleurs and their history, his perspective on them is quite biased and sometimes inconsistent. Quite a few technical inaccuracies too.

He's definitely a very experienced, insightful bloke but seems prone to heavy handed, sweeping statements.

02gf74":2heyyq9d said:
When did he write the book, 1985?
We have to consider when he wrote that definition. It was quite true in 1985 but today, with evolution, it's something different today.
But some element are interesting for the definition of a ”classic" (or old school, vintage, retro…) mountain bike : 26" wheels, brakes on wheel (with some exceptions like Pro Stop disc brakes :D or rear 24" wheels :D )

To be fair, the definition is slightly taken out of context.
The book (first published in 1999), is about the early days of mountain biking and those criteria are used, with defending explanations, to try and pinpoint when 'mountain biking' as we know it was started. The criteria fit the normal view of an original mountain bike from the late '70's early '80's.
As the second edition is dedicated to John Finley Scott I think the author shows an understanding of things that happened outside of the Marin County explosion.

It would seem obvious to me that now the definition is much wider than that used in the book, but given the context that one is fair enough. ;)

Re:

Point 6 is the most ridiculous. Even staying in the USA, plenty of great bikes came from places other than Marin county!

Back