Can we now petition to change EN 1476 14781?

The question was a little tongue in cheek but yes it does raise the question on what we do with all the norms and standards we have in common (speaking as someone who works in engineering design), we could just continue adopting but that wouldn't be taking back control would it.
Does the lateral stiffness test only apply to complete bikes or does it include frames sold as just a frame?

I just had a quick look through...looks like it refers to cycles and all associated sub-assemblies.
All the fatigue and impact tests are run on frame and fork assemblies.
No specific mention of lateral stiffness requirements. Just fatigue, permanent set bending, cracking and impact resistance:

Links to documents here:

EN 14766 MTB bicycles

EN 14781 Road Racing Cycles

Of course these European EN standards are relatively easily available to all at no cost whatsoever.

On the other hand, I have never been able to track down a copy of the BS6102-1 regs without being asked to pay roughly £160+VAT for each of the 4 regs from the privatised BSI, despite it being written and put into statute by authorities paid for by the UK tax payer. The sale of non-conforming goods was illegal, yet manufacturers were required to pay the BSI hundreds of pounds to see the compulsory legislation relevant to their products!

All the best,

danson67":2e5i4ww6 said:
I just had a quick look through...looks like it refers to cycles and all associated sub-assemblies.
All the fatigue and impact tests are run on frame and fork assemblies.
No specific mention of lateral stiffness requirements. Just fatigue, permanent set bending, cracking and impact resistance:

Links to documents here:

EN 14766 MTB bicycles

EN 14781 Road Racing Cycles

Of course these European EN standards are relatively easily available to all at no cost whatsoever.

On the other hand, I have never been able to track down a copy of the BS6102-1 regs without being asked to pay roughly £160+VAT for each of the 4 regs from the privatised BSI, despite it being written and put into statute by authorities paid for by the UK tax payer. The sale of non-conforming goods was illegal, yet manufacturers were required to pay the BSI hundreds of pounds to see the compulsory legislation relevant to their products!

All the best,

What happened to the BSI is going to be happening to the Land Registry.

Whatever is imported will have whatever local standards applied to it and if it conforms to whatever standards the UK/ England/ Independent state of London see fit to place on imports.

All the UK/ England/ Independent state of London exports will then have to individually conform to whatever Europe decides plus individual countries may also add there own caveats just to make life more fun.

Googling around the subject...it looks like the BS/EN safety standards have been adopted into global standards ISO 4210.

So pretty pointless trying to do anything 'Little England' to establish anything that is allegedly a better standard.
Which agreed international safety standard does anyone propose relaxing or dropping?

How big is the market for products and tubing which UK builders can only sell in the UK under looser safety rules? For the component and tubing manufacturers it's ISO all the way everywhere else on the planet, even in the US.

Back in 2013, the small UK-based Framebuiders' Guild (which has been pretty quiet since) were proposing a test or minimum standard level sometime in the future to filter out the poor builders. The 753 test is long dead. Reynolds do at least try find out a builder's level of expertise before selling them anything stupid light or difficult/fussy to build with.

At least in the meantime, sticking with BS/EN 1476 and its ISO 4210 doppelganger makes sure that the raw materials should lend themselves to building a safe frame.

All the best,

Back