Original spec? No thanks...

Re:

When buying a bike, there're always a part or something upgraded from catalog spec. Particularly in middle range.
So, suspension forks or not, upgraded groupo don't matter
IMO, I only try to be period correct when I restore a bike.

But there's case where the bike need to be catalog specific correct : for example the Cannondale Omega limited edition : without Cook crankset or Grafton brakes, it's not an Omega !

I went for a mix of upgrades I listed after BITD and certain OE kit to achieve a balance that I'm completely satisfied with for my 91 DX build. The forks are still yet to be replaced but most the parts on it (excluding the 95/96 Judy XC) are 'period correct' up to perhaps 94 and the King headset is probably the most modern of the entire build with still a retro look.

It's all horses for courses, and on my 92 Al Megas, that both get ridden, most parts have been swapped out to upgrades but still of a period that suits them.

al-onestare":1w8zv40s said:
You've answered your own question with your question: catalogues.

In many cases it's all we had to lust over the dream machines we're fortunate to pick-up now in later years. So, naturally we want to re-create that picture, that memory, even though the kit was in some cases utterly rubbish.

This for me all day long. I don't really ride my retro much as my modern bike is better in my opinion but I do like looking at them. An old frame with a mixture of parts is just that to me and leave me cold where as a factory spec and mint early 90's Orange/Marin/Saracen/etc bring back good memories.

Don't get me wrong, a well placed, period correct bit of Syncros, Answer, Control Tech and the like works well but a lash up of what you have knocking about makes it just a bike to me.

However, there's no right or wrong answer as we're all different. ;)

I guess I've nver wanted a catalogue build per se, but if the bike you buy is box fresh, it would seem a shame to ruin that? If it came resplendant with charater and is careworn, that's good too!!

That said, none of mine are original, but I've tried to keep any *key* components relevant. A hardtail kona with matching P2s *HAS* to have a velocity stem... right?

A pace frame without pace forks...

Nothing wrong with either of the above examples not happening, but something about [our bikes] will be more 'right' if certain things apply.

I suppose the big issue for me - is I don't 'collect' bikes. I've only got one! It's my ride to the pub, cycle to work and my mount for doing the Ridgeway. I agree with others - it is nostalgic seeing the bikes as we remember seeing them in the catalogues and mags - but I certainly don't get the desire to undertake a full catalogue build of a Marin Bear Valley and try and recreate Zolotone paint!

Re:

I try to make my custom builds look 'factory'. More than once have people commented on how nice and original my bike is, when all that is left is the frame and forks! I don't do anodising or boutique....

SP

I like a complete groupset on a bike, period correct of course, which is rarely how bikes came. A lot had a highlight or two with the rest lower spec, but complete groupsets do it for me.

Bedfordnorthend":265tdqwj said:
I suppose the big issue for me - is I don't 'collect' bikes. I've only got one! It's my ride to the pub, cycle to work and my mount for doing the Ridgeway. I agree with others - it is nostalgic seeing the bikes as we remember seeing them in the catalogues and mags - but I certainly don't get the desire to undertake a full catalogue build of a Marin Bear Valley and try and recreate Zolotone paint!

Agreed. I used to like to do proper restorations but now am only interested in original paint and as near to original bits as I can.

I guess I have now become a collector although I still think I'm going to ride them :facepalm:

Yup, bikes never stayed catalogue for long in the 90s! As you say, there was so much after market stuff. That's one of the great things about bikes, anyone with a set of Allen keys and some scanners could totally mod their bike. And for someone who was a poor schoolboy in the 90s, being able to slowly 'upgrade' bit by bit to something purple anodised was fantastic. There were so many options -- it seemed that anyone who had access to a CNC machine, some Al billet and an anodiser set themselves up. No doubt some questionable engineering, but the stuff certainly looked cool.

So really, I think even to be period correct (rather than catalogue correct), your retro mount needs at least a few mods.

Back