Cleaning up tyres - garage queen level

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Having missed out on a pair of NOS tyres for my garage queen build, I was offered a very tidy pair by the ever-so helpful and generous Tim aka minifreak who parted with his that were planned for a build of his own. They had only done a few miles, but for garage-queen standards a bit of cleaning was required.

I googled for help (knowing I wouldn't be the first to wonder) and found some posts on MBR recommending a US-brand cleaner (can't recall what) and baby oil for restoration and preservation of amber sidewalls. Whilst neither product was available nor appealing, I set about doing some of my own work, and here are the results...

I first gave the tyres a bath (literally!) with some car shampoo :LOL: This removed the loose dirt and general muck (not that they were caked, but the shampooing was useful!).

The aforementioned unknown branded product I discovered to be some form of generic household mild surface cleaner, so without risking anything too harsh, I selected my kitchen-cleaner and weapon of choice, Dettol AntiBac Surface Cleanser spray. I figured this would at least get rid of any bacteria that may be present on the tyres (who knows what that might do?!) and having some degreasing properties would remove any crud the shampoo hadn't. I was also confident that due to the relatively mild nature of this product that it would be safe on even the oldest of rubber. Liberally sprayed onto the surface and into the treads, this solution was worked over the surfaces with a nail brush, removing the most ingrained crud from the treads and sidewalls.

The pièce de résistance in the whole restoration/back-to-new/preservation process was a product I never rated when I was into my car-detailing practices but had plenty spare in the garage so thought worth a try - and provided amazing results - Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing. This was applied again by spraying liberally onto the tyres and worked in using the nail brush. Excess solution that ran over the sides was wiped off with kitchen paper and then left to dry.

The tools!:

Before'n'after (the 'after' is still slightly wet in the pic):

Today, when dry - yes, DRY even though they look soaked!:

The results are better than I expected - a slightly waxy but shiny residue remains. I might try buffing this back with a microfibre, but as they are, I think they're great. :D

Anyone who has similar but different tips on methods, products and application, please comment as I'm not suggesting that my way is best, but I would recommend it. Hence this post! :cool:

Word of warning:
Not recommended to be applied to a rim's braking surfaces due to the slippery nature of this solution! I recommend mounting tyres to an old rim to clean them then re-mount onto your 'good' rims.

I use raw washing up liquid and a long handled dish scrubber thingy.

Expect dishcloth hands :(

Ive been known to use black boot polish on black wall tyres, and clear boot polish on amberwalls. Apply with one brush, and then polish to a shine with another brush. Plenty good enough for showing purposes.

Anything slippery like wax or silicone on the tire bead may cause the tires to slip on the rim when braking.

In a worst case scenario, you will die to death. :x But at least your do so on good looking tires! :mrgreen:

I get this sometimes with older tires where the rubber has dried a bit and slips on the rim. This usually results in valve stems that were straight leaning at an angle.

Re:

Slipping on the rims ?....you mad fools these are just to gaze at whilst thinking about the smell of an early nineties bike shop ( similar to a London fetish club ) and to ride them would simply shatter the illusion my friends

Re:

Well enjoy your gazing and riminicing (""<--- see what i did there)

Btw what are they on, a photo of the bike.

Re: Re:

02gf74":9rq1ke0b said:

Looks like they're on some of those new fangled hubless wheels. Extremely light, but a bugger to true! :LOL:
I think it's a shame that they're not being used for what they were designed for, riding on, but each to their own.

Haha loving the comments!

I get the arguments of show bike versus riders etc., but this is not for riding hence the extraordinary levels of detailing I've gone to on these tyres. Hopefully my methods may encourage others looking for the same finish.

As for the spokeless, hubless design, the tyres will be remounted onto newly built NOS rims and hubs next week. Hopefully I'll have the whole bike assembled and finished the week after. It's been a bit of a drag lately!

EDIT:
02gf74":20l1t20v said:

They're going onto the Al Mega DX (build thread link in sig). :)

Back