Forgive me i have bought a new MTB

Re:

Went for 10 mile blast on the Talon, early impressions good. A little less 'whippy' than the 26" wheels of my other bikes but a nice comfortable ride and a nice set up.

Re:

Horses for courses innit :p

Back in June i picked this up through the ride to work scheme...

i love riding it but you have to be careful riding it after riding a retro for any length of time. the brakes are seriously sharp its like hitting a brick wall .... feathering the brakes isn't the easiest task ...

i dont ride particularly hard but i wouldn't feel the very confident taking a retro with skinny frame drop outs where i ride the Scott.

Having said that, i absolutely adore riding the Rockhopper down canal paths and light trails.

Re: Re:

wookiee":172uvdmh said:
Mike Muz 67":172uvdmh said:
wookiee":172uvdmh said:
Nothing wrong in mixing it up! I have my daily ride a modern Santa Cruz 29er (think a BMW diesel go anywhere type thang) then I have the old 1991 Marin Team (Think sunny afternoon in a 1969 Jaguar E-type)!

Doug

Hey Doug ;)

So the Marin was a pain in the arse to get together, keeps breaking down, but at least you get your leg over when the Mrs sees it! :LOL:
Allegedly

Mike

Mike you and I know I have 2 young children...the only leg over I get is over my bikes these days! ;)

Thanks for your reply mate, I nearly pulled the trigger on a Marin just then ! Phew! :LOL: :LOL:

widowmaker":6wc8c3lr said:
oaklec":6wc8c3lr said:
So that Giant Talon

I wasnt comparing old v new bikes, that argument could go on for decades. The question was if you HAD to buy one, what would you choose.

My problem was not with Retrobikes, my problem was that i needed a bike that was working straight off one that i know i can always fall back on (or fall off) , and one which i didnt have to worry which bits i fitted/sourced and one which i have NO sentimentality with :p

I have found just the one ;)

That's a really good question. If I had to buy one, what would I buy? I instinctively thought, something ti or 953 with XT, a decent wheelset and some not too long travel forks. Then I googled and it became apparent such a beast would be very expensive, if I could actually find such a thing. So then I googled some more and came to the conclusion I don't know how I would choose a modern mountain bike. They all appear too similar. I'd probably just go and buy an orange one, because orange is the fastest colour.

I'll go grab the scotchbrite and stroke the Hei Hei gently... I'll be ok by the morning

Re:

One thing i did notice was after 10 miles i felt very little :(

No pain in the wrists and neck and no emotion at all just a competant bike thats all :)

A bit like driving from London to Brighton is a 1960's Mini Cooper compared to a new one :!:

widowmaker":2mq159fa said:
A bit like driving from London to Brighton is a 1960's Mini Cooper compared to a new one :!:

Nailed it there, my ol' chum!

Re:

You are not forgiven still, but shattered rists and palms, a cricked neck and aching arse are just make you feel like you are alive, honest.

Unfortunately Pace have developed their new RC127 and in yellow I actually like a modern bike. Shame on me.
I'd have to debrand the rims though, put pedals on it and straighten them cables.
PACE+2015+RC127+Yellow+Bike+3Q-46935.jpg

Not the best picture, but see somebody sat on it in the moors and it actually just looks normal.

Re:

Thats a nice looking bike :cool:

I am not a fan of thick tubed modern bikes (like the one i have just collected :oops: ) thinner clean looking Retro frame are more pleasing to the eye.

Back