I gotta Idea...Retrocon?

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Look, don't judge me but BITD I used to organise Doctor Who Conventions.
Now then, having been to the excellent Iconoclassic, I got thinking that Iconoclassic was brilliant, and yet I wanted to see people riding these lovely bikes around in a field ( and ride my own) have some dealer's tables, hear stories from riders back in the day - perhaps folks like David Baker and Caroline Alexander, Tim Gould et al, even see the odd retrobike film on a big screen, a sort of cross between a Science Fiction convention and the Malverns.
Anyone else fancy the idea? I envisage booking a campsite for a weekend, setting up some bike displays, having the aforementioned dealer displays and some riding displays and comps ( perhaps get Team Hot Pies to reform for the weekend?) a stage where former influential/famous/successful people - riders, builders restorers could be interviewed and maybe even have a kind of round table q and a thing.
Anyone else fancy the idea. I can't do all the work - it needs a team, but is it the sort of thing a few folks would be interested in?

Re:

It's a great idea...and a few classes of concours events too for used and mint catalogue examples from different eras eg early to mid 80s, mid to
Late 80s, etc

Love the idea of this, sounds just like the weekend camping classic Mini events I go to except with old bikes ;)

I am loving this idea!! Count me IN!

And if Caroline Alexander or Sally Dawes can be there, I'm leaving now to get first in the queue to meet them :p :LOL:

Re:

Fcuk that's thinking big

I've no idea how much work Tom puts into I-O-C but I reckon its a LOT
and in comparison to what your proposing its positively one dimensional
in so much as its totally centered around static displays

I don't think there's enough of us to make it a viable proposition but trust me I'd love to be proved wrong, I've supported IOC both years its run by exhibiting and would be more than interested in what your proposing.

Nick

I'd suggest speaking to some of the places that hold car shows and see what info and advice they can provide as they'll be pros at this kind of thing.

Once you know what they do and what you/we need to do, then we just need to decide on the best venue (which may change during the first few events until the most suitable one becomes apparent)

Thanks guys, like I said, I used to organise Who conventions with upwards of 700 - 1000 attendees, so I reckon this can be done but I am also aware of the workload involved and the necessity for a fairly long lead time. Spud: I know exactly what you mean and it's my only reservation: I dunno if there are enough people willing to travel and stump up a few quid (it couldn't be done free - venues tend to want paying, even when it's done for a charity as the Who conventions were ) but it couldn't hurt to look into it a bit more. Shall I have a poke at the possibilities? A warning: I am not a well man so cannot possibly do it myself so if anyone wants to form a team ( which tends to be the only way this sort of thing can be organised ) then feel free to register an interest :) That said, let me have a look at some possibilities. Any questions, suggestions or whatever will be more than welcome :)

Cracking idea, I think it may depend on time of year and where it is in the country, central and easy to get to is obviously better, but go for it

Back