Bottom bracket Kona Lava Dome 1993

criisbike

Dirt Disciple
Hi all ..

its been a while .. the kids are finally old enough to not need lifts on my bike so i have started 'fixing' (breaking) it up.

If i can manage to get bottom bracket off I will replace it for a new non-crunchy, non-wobbly one.

Can anybody help me with the spec of what i should buy to put in there ? I figure if i can order it now by the time it arrives I might have summoned the power to remove the old one.

Thanks

C

Or indeed point me to where i might find out.

Ta

Re:

Chainreactioncycles ftw good sir, you'll need a 68mm shell width and the axle length will depend on your crankset choice.
Any sealed unit will do the job, can usually get them for about £10 from them :)

Re:

Once you know axle length, post it up as I *may* have one suitable in my spares box you can have for nothing.... :cool:

thanks for the quick replies ...

do i simply measure the axel once i have managed to get it all apart ? I assume so but I have never gone this far into fixing a bike before.

As for the crank set.. it's got what it came with. It looks just like the one in your picture spudly. I wasnr planning on changing this . Do i need to ?

doctorstewie":34zuy1e4 said:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

This should help as it covers almost all the usual chainsets :)

thats supposed to help ??

i cant make head nor tail of it.

Yes. It is.
Edited for uneccessary snark.
What kind of chainset is it? If you don't know post a pic and I'll work it out. I'll be back to you with an answer in a jiffy after I see the pic or get the infdo from you :)

Edited: realised what you meant by spudly's pic and had a look.

A 118 should do you fine. ( Sheldon's database doesn't list that exact model: it's a Sugino xd450 or as the americans call it, a Fuze 450. All the close model numbers use a 113 -118, and Fluffy Chicken of this parish also concluded that a 93 Cinder cone uses a 118.

Really the best thing is just to measure it : that way you'll know for certain :)

Re:

You know I actually don't know what the oe crankset is but I think it's a sugino, and yes just measure the axle length, 110mm springs to mind but don't take it as gospel though, I still have my 93 LD and it's definitely worth fixing up again as they're very capable and fun to ride :)

The 93 range were all lovely bikes : I had a Fire mountain and it was light, springy and lovely. They were also amongst the best value for money for that year, by a long way.

Back