Calling all Diamond Back experts...

hotbuns

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in buying an old Topanga (pre-1996, I think) from the TradeMe auction site over here in NZ. The seller lists the bike as being made in England, but I'm not convinced; I thought they were all made in the far east. The seller is sure it was made in England to BS 6102. What do you guys think? Photo below. Any knowledge appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 697
Re:

Hi there,

I may be a little bit rusty with my Diamondback knowledge, but I know for sure there is no way this Topanga was made in the UK!

It looks to me like a 96 model, but it may be 95; def. not 97 as they changed the downtube decals.

These were made in China, but the sticker should say 'Designed in the USA'.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Thanks, Michael.

You're certainly backing up what I remember of DB back in the day. The seller seemed quite offended at my suggestion that Diamond Back was a US company and their bikes were made in the Far East! I don't think I'll be bidding...

Alex.

Re:

Hi Alex,

Good call.

The seller may have looked up recent DB stuff and found it was owned by Raleigh and then assumed and so on...

Anyway, this Topanga was back in the day when DB's were actually very good and still (as far as I know) independently owned!

But the Topanga was never a top model so it would never have been made anywhere but China.

Cheers.

Re:

Yeah, I was thinking that I never saw Nick Craig racing a Topanga in the XC races way back when! After the rather rude response from the seller it was quite clear he knew he was right.
Still, I know this bike was a little small for me but I didn't want the guy to sell the bike with such a glaring error in his description. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 19 inch-or-thereabouts DB from the golden era :)

Yeah, DB was never ever made in the UK, not even their high end Ti stuff...although I'd say it is Tawanese rather than made in China (but you never know).

Re:

I wouldn't worry too much about where it was made, a lot of, probably most, MTB brands had the frames made in the far east. Marin, Scott, Kona etc. all had their frames made in Taiwan, they did and still do make so many frames there that I reckon those guys are probably pretty good at TIG welding. :D

Certainly the two 20+ year old built in Taiwan steel frames I have seem to be holding up well enough.

Yeah, I never been one to worry about where a frame was made; I've been riding Surlys for years. It just struck me that the seller was misleading folks by listing it as English-made when it wasn't. I note he has now re-listed the bike and removed all reference to being made in England. Hehe. Win.

He probably thinks it's English made because it may have a BS6102 sticker - this means it may have been retailed in the UK initially as any bike sold in the UK MUST legally conform to BS 6102 - or at least had to back in the early nineties.
I love it when someone so wrong is so convinced they are right. Conviction without correctness is an admirable trait. *

*May be sarcastic.

Back