Cutting down an XTR chainring spider

Missing teeth :) A problem many of us have :LOL:

agree about the choice of rings which was why i though a 2nd DH spider couldnt hurt.
Plus an lbs i know has a nice goldtec on this pattern.

dyna-ti":qqcwow5v said:
Do they have more than 1?

After replying earlier I did a quick Google for 112 bcd rings and found a middle ring on ebay. Took a punt thinking it would go for silly money......... :cool:

Just need a nice left arm and inner ring now....... :(

Sorry WD. Its just a wee spider project, im not actually intending to do anything with it.

ishaw":1kevqq2c said:
dyna-ti":1kevqq2c said:
Do they have more than 1?
I only saw the one
ishaw":1kevqq2c said:
After replying earlier I did a quick Google for 112 bcd rings and found a middle ring on ebay. Took a punt thinking it would go for silly money......... :cool:

Oh aye :? bit quiet about that :LOL:

Attachments

• Half a day at Big Al%27s 009 %28Custom%29.JPG
    Half a day at Big Al%27s 009 %28Custom%29.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 376
Re:

I use m951 cranks on my singlespeed.I got a spider from a set of lx cranks as the spline pattern is the same.
However,the lx spider is much thicker than the xtr item,so I machined it down a bit and,hey presto,straight on,choice of chainrings in all sizes and colours and no creaks or problems for the last 3 months.

Snapped off the remaining teeth with a set of moles as the less metal to grind off. then took it back to about 2mm from the lip as a rough guide.
From there im using a belt sander as this is quite soft, not chattery and easier to hold the ring flat against the top with the sander lying on its side. just a matter of turning the ring as you go.
Ill do another pic of the edge after the belt sanders done its work. About 1/2 ways through at the moment. :?

The block ive the ring on for the pic is a carborundum stone. Alloy clogs the wheel and the stone dresses the grinding wheel and removes the alloy particles by grinding the stone itself back.

Attachments

• PICS 003 (Custom).JPG
    PICS 003 (Custom).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 336
Get it perfectly round by fitting ring to crank and onto bike. Then attach sander to frame, spin the crank and move the sander in, could be a job for two peiple.

Back