Surprise 4%

Or simply advertise the price the buyer needs to pay.

I've found that a lot of folks will often pay by gift even though I've never really asked for it.

I now tend to put something like '£xx.xx paypal fees and postage included (gift would be nice, but not necessary).'

Re:

I have various thoughts on this and sometimes I sell high, sometimes low, generally depending on what it is. Not that I sell that much.

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that when you have a community as strong as this it's not really necessary, in most cases, to give PayPal 4% (ish) of the deal.

Generally when I buy or sell I recognise the name and if someone's a regular on here they're unlikely to want to jjeopardize that by being an arse. It's easy to check feedback, number of posts, how long a member.

Obviously in certain situations (high value Or dealingwith noobies mainly) that doesn't apply but otherwise PayPal make more than enough money (and don't pay tax)

Re: Re:

jaypee":2akppgl7 said:
I have various thoughts on this and sometimes I sell high, sometimes low, generally depending on what it is. Not that I sell that much.

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that when you have a community as strong as this it's not really necessary, in most cases, to give PayPal 4% (ish) of the deal.

Generally when I buy or sell I recognise the name and if someone's a regular on here they're unlikely to want to jjeopardize that by being an arse. It's easy to check feedback, number of posts, how long a member.

Obviously in certain situations (high value Or dealingwith noobies mainly) that doesn't apply but otherwise PayPal make more than enough money (and don't pay tax)

Couldn't agree more, check feedback and post count, as mentioned before.

I would prefer anyone one who selld kit new or used did no ask extra for fees. I have had it too for parts or bikes and I have given in to the request of gift and so far I have not been had. One day I will though it is inevitiable.

If you instead factor in the fees into the asking price then that is taken care off. I run a buisness and all the new kit I sell I factor all the costs to get my price. I have to to keep the lights on. it is not hard. If you want £20 then ask for £20 + fees and state the total and then say goods payment is fine.

Simple really. If the seller put themselves in the shoes of the buyer everything is simpler.

Re:

No I don't have a problem sending by Paypal gift - paypal charges the seller a fee for the transaction (that's where they make their money) and I think its fair for the purchaser to compensate them for that in this context. It really comes down to who you feel should cover the cost of the transaction if you are using a system like paypal. As the purchaser I think its fair for me to cover it.

that why if you are selling factor the fees and other costs into the sale price. It is quite simple really people who run shops do it every day. That wat the buyer knows what they are paying when the view the ad and the seller gets what they want for the part.

Back