brazed on disc tabs to steel v brake frame and forks

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
The green saracen kili build in 1998 -> section git me hankering fir one.

Owned two in the past and did like them.

Anyways, the question.

I cannot go back to v brakes so would need to attach disc brake mounts to the frame and forks.

Ideaaly woukd want to do it myself.

I should be able to make the brakets and in theory braze (silver solder) them on.
Woukd that be strong enough, especially on the forks?

I have blow torch, i am guessing that will not give enough enough heat.

... or shoukd i leave it to a framr buikder, any idea of price?

Any other advice apart from "dont mess wilk retro frames" is appreciated.

Have a word with danson on hear he's a frame builder and fairly priced and does so very neat work he owns draft wheelchairs if you can't find him to pm dude

Re:

Apart from the token 'don't mess with retro frames' you'd also need to fit a bracing tube/plate between the seat stay and chain stay at the new disc mount. This is to stop seat stay deformation. I've seen this on non braced frames due the rotational force introduced by the rear disc.

Can all be done very nicely to old frames, the only tricky part being to ensure the disc mount is perfectly aligned.

I'd be hesitant about adding a disc mount to a lightweight fork which tapers to a being narrow at the drop-out. The main issue again is that the braking force can twist the fork leg.
I think it would be fine on a wide diameter fork like a Kona P2 or a Saracen segmented fork.

Is it this green Kili perchance? --> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=311729

Re:

If you extend the tab up the rear stay (mines tapered off to nothing about 6" up rear stay from hub centre ) you don't need a brace , I've run like this with a 180 rear disc for 12 months and someone else has hammered his for about 4 years to my knowledge , both on 97/98 Kona frames (LD and CD).

Yep that was the green saracen that startef me thinking.

I would put in a brace betwern stays... question id ehether i can do it myself.

Re:

question id ehether i can do it myself.

If your metalwork is like your spelling - NO! :p

Forks are easy though, just buy new ones with disc tabs on already. :D

Re: Re:

xerxes":188r5wq2 said:
question id ehether i can do it myself.

If your metalwork is like your spelling - NO! :p

haha smarty pants - you try using my phone and see how many mistakes you make!! ^^^^ and that was probably after correction :facepalm: , with a proper keyboard, my spelling is good enough to never have to use a spell checker. :p

... and since you understood the question, I guess it was good enough.

buying fork with tabs may not match the colour.

back on topic - will a blowtorch be hot enough for the soldering/brazing? I seem to recall seeing frame builders using what appears to be a gas welding torch hence it makes me think the answer is no,

Re:

I don't think a standard plumbers soldering type blow torch will be hot enough.

Maybe something like this: http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/torch_kits/

In all likelihood, you're unlikely to save much money doing it yourself unless you can borrow the necessary equipment fairly cheaply.

Re:

You's struggle with a basic blow torch I'm afraid. The disc tab is quite a volume of metal to heat up.
Have you done anything like this before?

Back