1994 Raceface "Real Seal" headset,lower bearing measurements

troje":1vmw71qn said:
I have a few spare RealSeals lying around and installed, most of them indeed have a gritty lower cup bearing. Seems like the weak spot of this headset. Although when installed you don't notice it, and I'm usually quite sensitive to this.

What year Altitude are you restoring? The 1994? Surely not many of those are around. Please post some pics, or better, start a build thread here! If you have the mango coloured RealSeal with it, be very careful with it, these are not so easy to find...

The likelihood of a "full" restoration is relatively slim, I can't imagine a matching set of mango RaceFace cranks or angled seatpost binder are likely to turn up in my budget range...

A build thread is a good idea, particularly since this is only the first in a series of silly questions I have to ask :)

Would it be best to have a mod change the title of this thread? Or should I start a new one?

Cheers, Ted

You can just start a new thread I think. Picture heavy is recommended!

The '94 Altitude came with three components anodized in that particular mango colour: Seatpost collar, Realseal headset and Turbine LP cranks. Unfortunately, I only have the collar in mango and have been looking for headset and cranks for some time now. A few months ago a set of mango cranks turned up on German Ebay and I ended in a bidding war going crazy high and eventually lost. So I've changed the colour scheme to gold, which looks pretty good I say myself.

Re:

I have a 1993 one and a slightly layer different design I think 95ish
I think the bearings have the codes on mine.

Also once I've had a look I might tap some of you up for spares if they're missing bits. (Anyone have a picture of a 1993 era one so I can see what the top parts look like.)

Re: Re:

aguycalled80":3uqens6n said:
RockiMtn":3uqens6n said:
my question is, how is the headset missing the cartridge bearings in the first place??? they are pressed in and i can't see any easy way to get them out. i've come across a few headsets over the years, and on a occasions, the cartridge in the lower cups are fairly gritty.

I popped it out of the cup because the bearing was completely shot. (this is the red one that came with '94 Altitude)

I think it's a 6807RS.

okay, but HOW did you pop it out? i wouldn't mind replacing bearings on a couple of headsets i have. ;)

troje":3u43pzpi said:
You can just start a new thread I think. Picture heavy is recommended!

The '94 Altitude came with three components anodized in that particular mango colour: Seatpost collar, Realseal headset and Turbine LP cranks. Unfortunately, I only have the collar in mango and have been looking for headset and cranks for some time now. A few months ago a set of mango cranks turned up on German Ebay and I ended in a bidding war going crazy high and eventually lost. So I've changed the colour scheme to gold, which looks pretty good I say myself.
did i not sell you a mango one off a 95 Vertex??? or is that not quite the same mango colour?

FluffyChicken":2d9atxfl said:
I have a 1993 one and a slightly layer different design I think 95ish
I think the bearings have the codes on mine.

Also once I've had a look I might tap some of you up for spares if they're missing bits. (Anyone have a picture of a 1993 era one so I can see what the top parts look like.)
the RF headset on the 93 Altitude i believe a total different beast and not a standard Real Seal headset. i haven't taken the one off my Altitude, but i have some spare parts that look the same and the parts do not look interchangeable.

RockiMtn":qg0xni4r said:
aguycalled80":qg0xni4r said:
RockiMtn":qg0xni4r said:
my question is, how is the headset missing the cartridge bearings in the first place??? they are pressed in and i can't see any easy way to get them out. i've come across a few headsets over the years, and on a occasions, the cartridge in the lower cups are fairly gritty.

I popped it out of the cup because the bearing was completely shot. (this is the red one that came with '94 Altitude)

I think it's a 6807RS.

okay, but HOW did you pop it out? i wouldn't mind replacing bearings on a couple of headsets i have. ;)

I'm sure I found a .pdf from RaceFace saying to just pry it out. And yup, here it is;

http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/Deus_ ... eadset.pdf

I did that with the Thermo SP on my Dekerf, and then again with this mango unit.

It sucks that the seals were gone from that headset, I don't know where you'd find replacements for that.

. And yup, here it is;

I did that with the Thermo SP on my Dekerf, and then again with this mango unit.

It sucks that the seals were gone from that headset, I don't know where you'd find replacements for that.

From what I gather, the plastic dust shields on these are rather fragile. I've seen people suggest fitting a thin o-ring in the gap left by the missing plastic piece.

Cheers, Ted

I think the Germans have reproduced this o ring and regularly arrange group buys on their forum

aguycalled80":3uv7q8sv said:
I'm sure I found a .pdf from RaceFace saying to just pry it out. And yup, here it is;

hmmm… PDF is referencing more modern DEUS/Diabolus headsets. Since you've tried it, I guess the application remains the same for older Real Seal models. I guess I'll have to give it a try on a spare cup that I don't mind mangling. :LOL:

troje":3uv7q8sv said:
I think the Germans have reproduced this o ring and regularly arrange group buys on their forum
FYI… blackspire (Canadian/BC brand) still makes Shore DH headsets that seem to be very similar, maybe even possible identical, to the old Real Seal headsets. they use cup/race seals.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/category/83/5951/0/0

i haven't seen any local shops here that have the headsets on hand for sale. perhaps a BC local and verify and confirm? :)

Back