Boulder Bicycle Defiant?

Re:

:shock:

Wow , looks like you've done a good job on cleaning up the bare metal , what did you use ?

Seems a shame to paint over it . How about getting it clear powder coated ? :cool:

Mike

Thanks. Ya, tempted to just clear coat it but I'll probably powdercoat it white. I used 220 grit up to 400 and then steel wool.

Looking good! Are you going to return her to the original colour, or go with somethinglike the Boulder "flame" paint job?

Still deciding on paint.

Elite, did you learn any more about serial numbers? Year built? Etc? I was reading some of your older posts and almost thought I might have titanium frame by bottom square support. Brought frame into bike shop to get seat post reamed clean (done perfect now) and when they saw shine on frame they said titanium? But a magnet stuck to it so they said it is steel.

I looked at every photo I could find on the web but not one looks like this frame model.

I'll have to have a dig and see if I can find a photo to scan of my old gazelle. It was like yours, with RS1 (and also not a bent seat tube model). It was eventually stolen so I don't think I have the s/n.
My wife has a later, small, defiant, s/n 70535. I have no idea how the sequence runs.. It has the "later" round support tube and 1 1/8" headset.

Thanks, futuristicoldman. I have had an offer from local USA so I try that first. If I get a good mold of the badge I will share it with anyone who needs one in future.

Thanks, elite. Very confusing. My serial number is closer to your wife's bike but I have 1 1/4 headset and 28.6 seat post. Anyone know if there is a file somewhere with a list of serial numbers, etc. from old company Boulder Bicycles? That would sure be helpful.

Any photos of your Defiants or Gazelles you can share here, please post. I would love to see your bikes. I searched this forum for all I could find, downloaded and created a master file but it would be nice to see more or new photos. Please forgive any requests for repeated or redundant info contained on this forum in the past. Thanks!

I got the bike back from powder coating and it looks good. One thing that almost ruined my day was trying to get the rear derailler cable back into the frame. Seems there was a sleeve in there I was not aware of that melted during the 350 degree oven at powder coating. FORTUNATELY, I was able to get it out cleanly. Whew.

Now I am trying to get the RockShox forks back together. I had to take them apart for powercoating. Maybe I shouldn't have because I need special tool 70103 to slide the lower bushing back in place. Anyone have this tool or a similar "tube" case that might work?

Attachments

• RS1Tech6.jpg
    RS1Tech6.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Boulder-Bicycles-45-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-45-compressed.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Boulder-Bicycles-43-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-43-compressed.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Boulder-Bicycles-44-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-44-compressed.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Boulder-Bicycles-42-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-42-compressed.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Boulder-Bicycles-41-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-41-compressed.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Boulder-Bicycles-40-compressed.jpg
    Boulder-Bicycles-40-compressed.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 311
Re:

Nice job and nice decals ! :cool:

But why didn't you choose the first RS1 decals. They would look better tahn "mag21" decals and, on other hand, it's the same typefont used than "boulder bicycle" :D
These old decals black on your white legs would be stunning ! :cool:

Back