rarest bike/frame

FMJ":2o71w9nc said:
GT-1991-Xizang.jpg

Always wanted one of those as well as the 1990 Merlin Ti/steel rear Mongoose IBOC Signature.

FMJ":1sllrsc8 said:
I never wanted one. Serendipity.

DSC_0101_zps543d8d9a.jpg

Well if you decide it's too much of a burden to sustain, I'm sure we can work something out :cool:

As noted above I'd like to have one.

CCMDoc":22xnmd0j said:
Well if you decide it's too much of a burden to sustain, I'm sure we can work something out :cool:

As noted above I'd like to have one.

It's one of the three bikes in my collection that belonged to a friend that will never go on the block. As far as the serendipitous way it found it's way to me, my friend had just finished his second round of chemo. His mother was going golfing in Florida and took him with her to get him away from the cold weather. While there he went picking at local shops. Found it built up and hanging on the wall of a shop in Miami. According to the owner, it was a prototype frame he got from someone at GT. There are some subtle (and not so subtle) differences in it and the frame GT sold that lead credence to the story. The diameter of the Triple Triangle tube, the seat stay mounts, the head tube welds, the seat tube length, The graphics, and the lack of a serial number. He ended up losing the fight 3 months later. His brother and I brought all of his bikes to his house in a cube van. Some were given to friends (I got the Dekerf Mountain he originally bought from Chris in 93). Some he kept for himself (WTB Phoenix, Salsa A la Carte, Mountain Goat WTR). The GT went in the garage and gathered dust. A couple of years later he needed money to redo his roof. I made a donation and got the GT in return. Made some minor changes to it to make it "correct", threw it on the roof rack, and headed to my favourite trail. I was the first person to ever ride it, 20 years after it had been built.

gt3-2.jpg

Re: Re:

Jamis Diablo":3v86htry said:
It never came to production, so the one for sale must be a proto?
Very very nice bike!

Dunno...

It was on the German ebay many years ago, looked just the same except it had no cables, I remember so much as it was the first I ever knew of them. I wanted it so bad I deliberately didnt bid on the beautiful red GT with browning suspension forks that ended the week before so I had enough money in the bank. anyway......... I did have a punt but didn't win the auction :?

The GT tho deserves to be in this list since you reminded me ;)

Psyclone_Proto.JPG

Re:

Your friend had a great taste in bikes Stu. IIRC the green Brodie was another of his?

Latest posts

Back