Did they make sealed cartridge bb's in the 80's?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I just cracked open the bb on my 84 Diamondback Ridge Runner and was shocked to find a sealed cartridge bearing bb inside the old vintage looking cups and lock rings. Is this some sort of bizzare lash up to keep the bike looking original or did they make cartridge bearing bb's back in the old days? All it says on the rubber seal is OCP Japan. No other marks or labels on the thing.

Re:

That direct in the frame one?
I think he's meaning more like the Suntour ones where they used cartridge bearings (or a serviceable cartridge bearing) in place of loose or caged balls and machined bearing surfaces on the axle and cups.

I think they are probably Sugino ones if original
Bit like these ? www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sugino/index.html

Re:

Yes, as FluffyChicken says there were BB's that used cartridge bearings, they came apart unlike the shimano cartridge style. Basically a straight axle which the bearing fitted over then the cup fitted over the bearing, usually an aluminium sleeve fitted between the bearings.

Re:

Cool. Mine is closest to the GUINES one in teh Suntour brochure that Fluffychicken linked me to. It seems to be working fine, so I'm just going to remove as much rust as possible and refit it. I guess these were top end bb's for the day. Surprised everone made such a bid deal when Shimano introduced theirs in the 90's.

Re:

Shimano had a different style. It was/is one complete bottom bracket cartridge and not cartridge bearings used in place of loose/caged bearings
Shimano sealed everything as one unit. This allowed much larger bearings to be used and only two places for dirt to get in and bearing separation is fixed by the unit itself, not by how far you screw the cups on.

I used to use FAG (heh...) bottom brackets a lot BITD. They always lasted much longer than the loose ball ones that were around circa 1990. I assume that the FAG ones had cartridge bearings as they were a big plastic unit IIRC.

Back